Loons leap into play-offs

Forfar Athletic                4         Albion Rovers                         2

Forfar Athletic moved back into the play-off places a week past Tuesday with a deserved 4-2 victory over relegation candidates Albion Rovers. Despite falling behind, goals from Danny Denholm, Martyn Fotheringham, Dale Hilson and Gavin Malin put the Coatbridge side to the sword.

The Loons made changes from the side that were beaten by Ayr the Saturday before, with Stephen Tulloch, Fotheringham, Denholm and Malin replacing Michael Dunlop, Jordon Brown, Willie Robertson and Ross Campbell.

Albion Rovers started the brighter team, and punished Forfar’s defensive frailties in the 12th minute when a corner was headed back across goal by Scott Sally and Marvin Andrews touched it to Pat WALKER, who put the ball in the net from close range to give them the lead. After 27 minutes Chris Templeman failed to trouble Matthew McGinley after his header from Danny Denholm’s cross was straight at the Rovers custodian. More chances were to come for the Loons that weren’t taken, with Michael Bolochoweckyj failing to connect with the ball correctly and Templeman again heading at McGinley.

Walker should have put Rovers further ahead in the 39th minute when he was given a free header, but his attempt from 6 yards out went over.  Two minutes later Forfar punished the away side with a well worked equaliser; Gavin Malin made space for himself in the D of the box, and put the ball through to an oncoming DENHOLM who placed a shot into the bottom corner of the net. Chris Templeman had another chance right on half time, but again headed at the keeper.

The Loons came out for the second half focused on collecting all three points, and it showed when they scored twice in quick succession. Good play on the wing by Dale Hilson resulted in his cross being met by a Gianfranco Zola style back heel from Martyn FOTHERINGHAM five minutes into the second half. Just sixty seconds later, Gavin Swankie did well to get to the byline, before beating Marvin Andrews and cutting the ball across the goal to HILSON who hammered home from 12 yards out.

Todd Lumsden and his men’s night worsened when Peter Innes was booked in the 54th minute then shown a red three minutes later for a poor challenge.  The Loons never seem to play well against ten men and tonight was no different, in the 64th minute Albion pulled a goal back after a Gary Phillips corner was easily headed home by Marvin ANDREWS and Albion were back in it. Both sides were equal again 13 minutes from time, when Danny Denholm collected a harsh second yellow, which won’t help our disciplinary record, which is the worst in the league.

Five minutes later the two goal advantage Forfar had built up was restored when Gavin MALIN was rewarded for his excellent play all game with a great strike from just inside the box.

Forfar Athletic: Hill, McCulloch, I Campbell, Bolochoweckyj, Tulloch, Fotheringham (King 89), Hilson (Kader 85), Malin (Brown 87), Templeman, Swankie, Denholm.

Subs Not Used: R Campbell, Salmon (gk)

Booked: Denholm

Sent Off: Denholm

Scorers: Denholm 41, Fotheringham 50, Hilson 51, Malin 82.

Albion Rovers: McGinley, Reid, Russell, Innes, Andrews, Donnelly, Thomson, Marriott (Howarth 55), Walker (Tiffney 87), Sally, Phillips.

Subs not used: Stevenson, Green, Tobin (gk)

Booked: Innes, Andrews

Sent Off: Innes

Scorers: Walker 12, Andrews 64.

Referee: Paul Robertson

Attendance: 293

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s