Loons fall to derby defeat

Forfar Athletic        2 (1)

Denholm 29, Templeman 55

Arbroath                  4 (1)

Doris 5, Hamilton 56, Travis 72, Sheerin 88

Forfar Athletic fell out of the Second Division play-off spots after losing 4-2 in a thrilling game to Angus rivals Arbroath at Station Park on Saturday.

The Loons made two changes from the 3-3 draw with Stenhousemuir two weeks ago, with Willie Robertson being demoted to the bench for returning internationalist Odmar Faeroe and Danny Denholm replacing the injured Dale Hilson.

The visitors took the lead after just five minutes when poor defending allowed Colin Hamilton to fire in a low cross for Steven Doris to stab home from six yards.

Forfar barely threatened in the first twenty minutes, with Martyn Fotheringham and Iain Campbell both having poor free kicks go wide, meanwhile Doris almost grabbed a second for himself and the Red Lichties but saw his free kick well held by former team-mate Darren Hill.

Arbroath were dealt a blow after 23 minutes when experienced midfielder Brian Kerr turned awkwardly on the pitch and went down injured, Kerr being stretchered off to be replaced by Scott Robertson.

Dick Campbell’s side equalised with half an hour gone after Omar Kader spotted Gavin Swankie’s run, threaded the ball to him and Swankie’s cross found Danny Denholm who flicked the ball over the head of Michael Travis and slotted past Scott Morrison.

The rest of the half saw action at both ends of the park, with both teams having an even share of possession, Arbroath’s Robertson and Forfar’s Templeman seeing efforts fly past the post, with Robertson’s being a long range shot.

In the 42nd minute Forfar came closest out of both teams after they were given a free kick in the middle of the Arbroath half, Euan Smith getting himself stupidly booked for blocking the attempt at a quick free kick, the ball ended up out with Danny Denholm and his cross was caught by Templeman’s chest, with Templeman attempting an overhead kick, his goal bound effort being tipped over by Morrison.

HALF TIME: Forfar Athletic 1 Arbroath 1

The second half started off with Forfar looking more threatening, Gavin Swankie and Gavin Malin both seeing deflected shots saved by Morrison in the first ten minutes. The Loons did take the lead in the 54th minute though, when Swankie, who despite not scoring since early January has been setting up his team mates goals, grabbed his second assist of the day when he placed a through ball to Chris Templeman who ran clear of the defence and slotted past the keeper, despite Michael Travis’ best efforts to get back to stop him.

The joy of being in front lasted barely a minute as Arbroath went straight up the park from kick off and left back Colin Hamilton beat players in the box before lashing the ball past Darren Hill, much to the delight of the large travelling support.

Forfar almost took the lead again two minutes later when Omar Kader’s cross found Templeman at the far post, but his header was pushed away by the keeper. Arbroath made their second sub of the day when Euan Smith went off and Daniel Rennie came on in his place.

Darren Hill almost handed his former employers a goal on the hour mark when he rushed out of his goal to try and stop an Arbroath player before he could shoot, but the ball ended up on the head of Paul Sheerin, but his header was cleared off the line by Stephen Tulloch with Hill miles out of his goal. Ross Chisholm was then booked for throwing the ball away after giving away a foul. The Loons brought on loanees Jordon Brown and Willie Robertson in quick succession for Omar Kader and Martyn Fotheringham.

Arbroath player/manager Paul Sheerin has been looking for his 100th career goal for a while, and he almost scored, albeit at the wrong end, as he got in the way of Hamilton’s clearance and the ball trickled wide to Sheerin’s relief. Derek Holmes came off for Arbroath, to be replaced by Graham Bayne.

With 18 minutes left of the match, Arbroath took the lead again, Michael Travis leaping to nod home Sheerin’s corner to undeservedly put them 3-2 up, with Darren Hill being booked for his protests. Charlie King came on in place of Gavin Malin three minutes later.

Gavin Swankie almost grabbed a hat-trick of assists in the 80th minute when he swung a dangerous looking cross into the box, but Danny Denholm failed to threaten and his header was gathered by Morrison. Stephen Tulloch was booked a minute later for a soft challenge, although the ref was shaky all game, worse challenges by both teams had gone unpunished, and sometimes without a warning, yet he had booked players for minor infractions.

Iain Campbell’s corner caused havoc in the Arbroath box with 4 minutes left, Willie Robertson seeing his header cleared off the line and then Charlie King’s effort from the clearance going over the bar.

The Red Lichties wrapped up the game in the dying minutes, Paul Sheerin was afforded a lot of space in the middle of the park and his effort from long range curled past the keeper for his 100th career goal.

Forfar now slip to fifth place in the league, Arbroath climbing above them with this victory and going three points clear, the Loons have a game in hand over them fortunately.


Forfar Athletic: Hill, McCulloch, I Campbell, Faeroe, Tulloch, Malin (King 75), Kader Brown 62), M Fotheringham (W Robertson 63), Templeman, Swankie, Denholm.

Subs Not Used: G Fotheringham, Salmon (gk).

Booked: Hill 72, Tulloch 81.

Arbroath: Morrison, Baxter, Hamilton, Kerr (S Robertson 23), Travis, Keddie, Smith (Rennie 58), Chisholm, Holmes (Bayne 66), Doris, Sheerin.

Subs Not Used: Sibanda, Bullock (gk).

Booked: Smith 42, Chisholm 60.

Referee: Euan Anderson

Attendance: 770

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s