History of Forfar Athletic: Forfar Athletic v Brechin City in the Scottish Cup

Tomorrow night will be the seventh meeting between Forfar Athletic and Brechin City in the Scottish Cup, with this being the first game at Station Park since January 1980.

The first ever tie between the pair was in January 1930 in the first round and it was a high scoring game as the Loons progressed to the next round with a 7-2 victory.

The scorers in that game for Forfar were Robert Geekie, David Forbes, Robert Black, Andrew Wilson and a hat-trick from David McLean. David Kilgour, a man you would have expected to be on the scoresheet drew a blank that day, in his 46 goal season, a record that still stands to this day. The Loons’ Scottish Cup journey was ended in the next round with a 3-0 defeat to St Mirren after a goalless draw in the original game.

The next meeting wasn’t until 1966 at Station Park again in the first round and Brechin got on much better than their last meeting, the game ending one all. William Barclay notching the home side’s goal before he grabbed a double four days later in the replay at Glebe Park, Robert Duncan getting the other goal in a 3-1 victory for Forfar. They crashed out in the next round with a shock defeat to then Highland League side Ross County at Victoria Park, losing by four goals to three.

Brechin City grabbed their first ever victory in 1981, after a bye to the second round for the Loons they were drawn with City at Station Park and it was the away side that triumphed with a 2-0 victory.

It would be twenty years before the sides would meet in the Scottish Cup again, this time at Glebe Park in very poor conditions, and Brechin took advantage of the Loons poor form and hammered them 3-0, with Moray Leask, Roddy Black and a Kevin Bain penalty putting them through. Brechin would reach the fourth round that season, after beating Coldstream 6-2 they were awarded a trip to Ibrox where they lost 2-0 to Rangers.

This season after Forfar defeated East Fife 2-1 and Brechin overcame Angus rivals Arbroath 2-0, they were paired together in the fourth round at Glebe Park. The game was a hard fought game, with three red cards, Stuart Malcolm and Mark Baxter of Forfar and Brechin’s Ewan Moyes being the recipients. Alan Trouten gave the home side the lead early in the second half and it looked to be enough until supersub Martyn Fotheringham’s free kick beat keeper Graeme Smith in the last kick of the game.

Forfar Athletic versus Brechin City in the Scottish Cup

Played     Forfar win     Draw    Brechin win     Forfar goals     Brechin goals

    6                 2                2                 2                      12                      10

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s