Forfar Athletic 3 Brechin City 3 (4-3 on penalties, aet) (Scottish Cup Fourth Round Replay) 10th December 2013

Forfar Athletic     3           Brechin City       3

Forfar Athletic win 4-3 on penalties

Templeman 18, 108           A. Jackson 6

Malin 84                             Trouten 51

                                           Walker 95


Malin scored                       Brown missed

McManus scored                S. Jackson scored 

Fusco scored                      Barr scored

I. Campbell missed             Hay scored

C. Smith scored                  Trouten missed

Forfar Athletic are through to the fifth round of the Scottish Cup after a thrilling derby with Brechin City that saw the Loons win 4-3 on penalties after a 3-3 draw.

Manager Dick Campbell was forced to make two changes from the weekend draw with Dunfermline, Mark Baxter, who was suspended and the ineligible Craig Storie making way for Martyn Fotheringham and Neil McCabe.

The away side got off to a dream start after just six minutes, a through ball found its way to Andy Jackson and he slotted the ball underneath the advancing Rab Douglas into the net.

They almost doubled their lead a minute later but Alan Trouten could only fire into Douglas’ arms while in the 13th minute Chris Templeman rounded Graeme Smith only to see his effort cleared off the line by a Brechin defender.

The Loons equalised in the 18th minute when a Fotheringham corner was headed home by ex-City hero Templeman.

Brechin’s on loan midfielder Darren Petrie stung the hands of Douglas with a long range attempt that was pushed wide in the 24th minute.

Two minutes later Craig Molloy sent a header back towards Smith whilst under pressure and almost put the ball in his own net as it looped over Smith but luckily for Molloy, Smith was able to stop it before it went in.

The midfield began to dominate the play for the reat of the half, with neither side really getting close to goal before Brechin’s Steven Jackson went close in the 42nd minute with a low free kick that was saved well by Douglas.

In the 44th minute Gavin Swankie sent in a cross for Omar Kader but Kader’s free header went inches wide from 6 yards before ref John McKendrick blew the whistle for half time suspiciously early.

HALF TIME: Forfar Athletic 1 Brechin City 1

The second half started much the same as the first half did, with Brechin retaking the lead in the 51st minute after Neil McCabe was adjudged to have tripped Petrie inside the box and Alan Trouten placed his shot into the keeper’s right corner.

Omar Kader went wide of the post again with a header whilst Derek Carcary had a low shot swept up by Douglas.

Youth player Craig Smith showed excellent skill on the hour mark to flick the ball over Johnny Brown before laying it off for fellow sub Gavin Malin but his volley from outside the box smashed off the crossbar before being cleared.

Malin and James Dale went close again six minutes later, a stramash in the box seeing Malin’s effort blocked and Dale’s rebound shot being smothered by Smith.

As Forfar pressed for an equaliser they were unlucky not to have one in the 74th minute, Iain Campbell’s free kick being knocked back into the box by Paul McManus but Darren Dods could only direct his header at the keeper.

Four minutes later Craig Molloy cleared a Templeman header from a Malin corner off the line.

The Loons finally equalised in the 84th minute, James Dale and Templeman combining with good play to set up Gavin Malin, who fired into the bottom corner for his third goal of the season.

Brechin threatened to grab a late winner with Bobby Barr and Trouten blasting wide from close range whilst James Dale volleyed wide for the home side.

Ex-Brechin midfielder Gary Fusco ran from his own half in injury time but when he got to the edge of the box he dragged his shot wide of the mark.

END OF NORMAL TIME: Forfar Athletic 2 Brechin City 2

Brechin looked determined to get a third goal to take the lead again in extra time, with Graham Hay putting his shot far too high in front of goal. They did have the ball in the net in the 93rd minute after Jackson and Douglas collided but ref John McKendrick gave a foul, adjudging Jackson to have fouled the keeper.

Malin hit the side netting again a minute before Brechin took the lead for the third time, Allan Walker taking aim from long range and his shot flew into the goal to make it 3-2.

Paul McManus had a chance almost straight from kick off but he could only pull his shot across goal and wide.

EXTRA TIME HALF TIME: Forfar Athletic 2 Brechin City 3

Forfar equalised again in the 108th minute hard work earning them a corner, which Campbell sent in for Chris Templeman to nod home, Brechin tried to clear but the ref gave the goal as he felt the ball had crossed the line.

They pushed for a winner after this, a long free kick from Campbell again finding Templeman and his header looped towards goal, Smith having to do well to push it over.

Allan Walker had the miss of the game in the 112nd minute, Ryan Donnelly had a shot saved and Walker had an open goal to tap into but instead blasted miles over from close range.

The Loons had three great chances in quick succession in the 117th minute, a Templeman cross was cleared inches before McManus could reach it and from that corner Craig Smith had a volley deflected over before Darren Dods had a header booted off the line.

Rab Douglas did well to block an attempted lob from Alan Trouten before the last action of the 120 minutes saw Iain Campbell’s 20 yard free kick saved by Graeme Smith.

END OF EXTRA TIME: Forfar Athletic 3 Brechin City 3


Johnny Brown sent his penalty to Rab Douglas’ left but Douglas pushed the shot away (0-0)

Gavin Malin blasted his shot to the right of Graeme Smith (1-0)

Steven Jackson shot straight down the middle (1-1)

Paul McManus placed his the same spot Gavin Malin did, out of Smith’s reach (2-1)

Bobby Barr scored his penalty despite Douglas getting a touch to it (2-2)

Gary Fusco blasted his penalty past Smith, never any doubt Fusco would miss (3-2)

Graham Hay sent his effort straight down the middle (3-3)

Iain Campbell had his penalty saved by Smith, who was booked for his antics after the penalty (3-3)

Alan Trouten‘s shot was saved on the line by Douglas (3-3)

Youngster Craig Smith showed great composure to slot home the winning penalty (4-3)

FULL TIME: Forfar Athletic 3 Brechin City 3 (Forfar win 4-3 on penalties)

Ramblings of a Loon’s Player of the Match: Gary Fusco – was excellent, didn’t give up trying

Forfar Athletic: Rab Douglas 7, Neil McCabe 6 (Gavin Malin 58, 7), Iain Campbell 7, Odmar Faeroe 8, Darren Dods 8, Gary Fusco 8, Omar Kader 6, James Dale 7, Chris Templeman 8, Gavin Swankie 6 (Craig Smith 54, 6), Martyn Fotheringham 6 (Paul McManus 71, 6).

Subs not used: Ross Campbell, Marvin Andrews, Kerr Hay, Darren Hill (gk)

Brechin City: Graeme Smith 6, Steven Jackson 6, Johnny Brown 6, Graham Hay 6, Gerry McLauchlan 5, Darren Petrie 7, Alan Trouten 7, Craig Molloy 6, Andy Jackson 7 (Ryan Donnelly 111, 2), Derek Carcary 6 (Bobby Barr 79, 5), Steven Robb 5 (Allan Walker 69, 7).

Subs not used: Greg Cameron, Paul McLean, Craig Nelson (gk)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s