East Fife 2 Forfar Athletic 1 (Petrofac Training Cup) 26th July 2014

East Fife             2

Jon McShane 14, Ewan Moyes 42

Forfar Athletic   1

Dale Hilson 72

Forfar Athletic were defeated in their first competitive game of the season as they crashed out of the Petrofac Training Cup in the first round, losing 2-1 to East Fife in Methil.

They made just one change from last week’s 3-3 draw in a friendly at Arbroath, James Dale making way for Stephen Husband. Husband, Andrew Steeves, Derek Young all made their competitive debuts for the club, along with Dale Hilson and Danny Denholm.

The home side started off the better side, Ewan Moyes heading at Douglas before Jamie Beaton had a shot deflected into his arms in the early stages.

They took the lead in the 14th minute, Caolan McAleer beating Mark Baxter to the touchline, swinging in a cross that Jon McShane headed home at the back post.

East Fife went close to doubling the advantage after 20 minutes, Allan Walker blasting over from long range.

McAleer was unlucky not to score himself on the half hour mark, curling a great effort from the corner of the box, Douglas making a very good save to stop it.

Forfar looked lacklustre compared to their pre-season performances, their first chance not coming until the 39th minute, Michael Dunlop blasting over the bar after an Omar Kader corner.

The Methil side extended their lead three minutes before half time, a free kick into the box was headed across goal by Kevin Smith and Moyes was on hand to nod home from almost on the line.

HALF TIME: East Fife 2 Forfar Athletic 0

Gavin Swankie fired a free kick wide and Hilson could only shoot straight at the keeper in the second half as the Loons looked to get back into the game.

In the 58th minute Husband had a free kick deflected wide before the corner came to nothing. Five minutes later Hilson’s cross was met by Husband but he sliced his effort back across goal before it was cleared.

Forfar made their final two subs in the 64th minute and from then started to pressure the Fifers more and more. The pay off came in the 72nd minute when they pulled a goal back, Michael Dunlop’s long ball finding Hilson, the striker beating a defender before beating Fleming with his shot.

Sub Chris Templeman headed over four minutes later from a Steeves cross before Scott Smith failed to threaten Douglas at the other end.

In the final few minutes the Loons pushed for a goal to take the game to extra time, Hilson having a great run to keep the ball in before cutting the ball back for James Dale but his shot hit the sidenetting before Denholm headed wide in the last shot of the game.

East Fife: Allan Fleming, Fraser Mullen, Scott Smith, Stevie Campbell, Ewan Moyes, Allan Walker, Caolan McAleer (Lewis Barr 75), Jamie Beaton (Ross Brown 64), Jon McShane (Nathan Austin 81), Kevin Smith, Alan Cook.

Subs not used: Gary Naysmith, David Maskrey, Ross Campbell, Dylan Rooney (gk)

Forfar Athletic: Rab Douglas, Mark Baxter (Aaron James 46), Andrew Steeves, Michael Dunlop, Stuart Malcolm, Derek Young, Omar Kader (Chris Templeman 64), Stephen Husband (James Dale 64), Dale Hilson, Gavin Swankie, Danny Denholm.

Subs not used: Craig Smith, Liam Keiller, Paul McLellan, Ross Salmon (gk)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s