Stirling Albion 2 Forfar Athletic 2 (League One) 20th September 2014

Stirling Albion             2

Sandy Cunningham 72, 86

Forfar Athletic              2

Omar Kader 12, Gavin Swankie 71

Forfar Athletic threw away a two goal lead in the final eighteen minutes on Saturday to draw 2-2 with Stirling Albion at Forthbank to continue their poor away form this season.

There was just one change from the win over Peterhead, Michael Dunlop pulling out due to injury, with Jim Paterson making his full debut for the Loons, Chris Templeman returned to the bench after missing the last two games.

Referee George Salmond caused controversy in the seventh minute, awarding a penalty after Gavin Swankie was fouled by Chris Smith but then changing his mind to a Stirling goal kick.

Forfar took the lead five minutes later, Derek Young threading a through ball to Danny Denholm and his low cross along the face of goal evaded Dale Hilson but Omar Kader was on hand to fire home from close range.

Less than a minute after the opener, it was almost two with a carbon copy chance, Stephen Husband giving Denholm the ball but Kader couldn’t force his cross into the net.

In the 23rd minute Husband had a chance of his own, the influential midfielder’s effort from 25 yards was deflected wide but the resulting corner came to nothing.

Gavin Swankie and Kader combined in the 36th minute, Kader then going on to have a shot but a defender got in the way and knocked the ball wide.

Half time: Stirling Albion Forfar Athletic 1

On the hour mark Husband’s free kick evaded everyone bar Swankie, who did well to keep the ball in play on the by-line before letting fly with a shot to the near post, hitting the sidenetting.

Stuart Malcolm nodded over in the 62nd minute before Chris Smith did the same for Stirling from Graham Weir’s cross six minutes later.

The Loons doubled their lead in the 71st minute, Hilson sending Denholm down the left, his ball across goal was tapped in by Swankie at the back post.

Stirling grabbed a goal back a minute later, sub Sandy Cunningham firing into the top corner from the edge of the box.

Dick Campbell’s men attempted to extend their lead but Hilson’s fantastic effort from long range was just touched past the post by Callum Reidford and the keeper did the same minutes later when sub Martyn Fotheringham received the ball from Hilson, turned a defender and let fly, Reidford doing well to get to the ball to tip it wide.

With four minutes to go Stirling equalised, a throw in into the box caused havoc and Cunningham stabbed home a loose ball for his second since coming on in the 68th minute.

Despite late pressure from the away side they couldn’t find a winner and despite remaining winless away from home this season, stay third in the league, with Ayr and Morton above them by a couple of points.

Stirling Albion: Callum Reidford, Lee Hamilton, James Creaney, David McClune (David McClune 77), Craig Wedderburn, Chris Smith, Graham Weir, Darren Smith, Gordon Smith (Sandy Cunningham 68), Steven Doris, Willie Robertson (Darren Lee Smith 68)

Subs not used: Ross Forsyth, Dale Fulton, Ross McGeachie, Greg Paterson (gk)

Forfar Athletic: Rab Douglas, Mark Baxter, Jim Paterson, Stuart Malcolm, Darren Dods, Stephen Husband (James Dale 80), Omar Kader, Derek Young, Dale Hilson (Chris Templeman 88), Gavin Swankie, Danny Denholm (Martyn Fotheringham 80)

Subs not used: Gavin Malin, Liam Keiller, James Yates, Ross Salmon (gk)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s