Forfar Athletic 0 Brechin City 2 (SPFL League One) 3rd January 2015

Forfar Athletic                  0


Brechin City                       2

Jamie Masson 12, Alan Trouten 80

Forfar Athletic started their 2015 poorly after a 2-0 derby loss to Brechin City at Station Park.

Goals in each half from Jamie Masson and Alan Trouten ensured that the three points and derby bragging rights went back to Glebe Park.

This was the Loons first home loss in the league since April last year and meant the side fell three points behind leaders Stranraer, who they will face next week.

After their last game two weeks ago, Dick Campbell made just one change, Omar Kader in for Martyn Fotheringham, while Jim Paterson played his last game for the side, new signing Michael Travis had to settle for a place on the bench.

Gavin Swankie and Michael Dunlop saw chances go past the post early on before Swankie had the ball in the net but the whistle had already gone for an apparent foul by Michael Dunlop as he knocked the ball down.

City took the lead in the twelfth minute when Bobby Barr’s dangerous run down the left ended in the ball reaching midfielder Jamie Masson and he stabbed the ball past Rab Douglas in his last game for the Glebe Park side.

Alan Trouten almost doubled the lead four minutes later, Barr causing bother again on the left side before swinging a cross in for Trouten to fire wide.

Dunlop sent another header the wrong side of the post as the Loons struggled to create anything. Gary Fusco moved back to Brechin from Forfar in the summer and came close to scoring against his former employers, firing wide from outside the box.

Two minutes before half time Paul McLean saw his long range effort held by Douglas as City looked the more dangerous side at half time.

Five minutes into the second half Jim Paterson threatened after collecting a Mark Baxter ball but Graeme Smith held the long range effort comfortably.

Dunlop again headed wide before Gavin Swankie had a shot blocked in the 56th minute, Scott Smith wasting the follow up.

Brechin’s Andy Jackson and Craig Wighton forced Douglas into action in quick succession, while at the other end Darren Dods’ sent Smith’s corner over the bar.

Gavin Swankie and Dale Hilson tried to get an equaliser with time running out, Hilson setting up Swankie but his shot was deflected wide before Hilson sent his effort the same way from Paterson’s throw.

With ten minutes to go Trouten sealed all three points for City, slipping the ball under Douglas after Wighton did well to get the ball into the box.

The closest anyone came to scoring in the final moments was Gavin Malin’s 40 yard effort that went centimetres over the bar with Smith beaten.

Forfar Athletic: Rab Douglas, Mark Baxter, Jim Paterson, Michael Dunlop, Darren Dods, Scott Smith (Gavin Malin 76, Omar Kader (Chris Templeman 65), Stephen Husband, Dale Hilson (Martyn Fotheringham 79), Gavin Swankie, Danny Denholm.

Subs not used: Stuart Malcolm, James Dale, Michael Travis, Ross Salmon (gk)

Brechin City: Graeme Smith, Paul McLean, Colin Hamilton, Darren McCormack, Gerry McLauchlan, Gary Fusco, Alan Trouten (Ryan Ferguson 90), Jamie Masson (Craig Molloy 65), Andy Jackson, Craig Wighton (Robert Thomson 90), Bobby Barr

Subs not used: Ewan McNeill, Greg Cameron, Steven Jackson, Ben Tough (gk)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s