Inverness City 1 Forfar Farmington 2 (SWPL) 12th April 2015

Inverness City                   1             

Natalie Bodiam 31

Forfar Farmington           2

Keira Johnstone 50, Holly Napier 56

Forfar Farmington head coach Damon Neish was delighted with his side after their comfortable win against Inverness City up north on Sunday.

Despite the 2-1 scoreline, the side could have had more, hitting the post three times and missing two great chances while not really being threatened by the home side.

Neish said “Three points is three points, I think that’s the most important thing from today, we’re on the board now, we’re up and running. It wasn’t a case of performance, although we played incredibly well, the important thing was getting three points and we’ve done that, so mission accomplished.”

Farmington were missing Sophie Milligan and Megan Burns so were forced into changing their side, with Kayleigh Brough switching from striker to right back, Jade McLaren going out to left back and development squad striker Derrian Gollan making her first start for the Premier side at 16.

Neish was happy with all three player’s performances too, noting “Derrian had a really good year last year, playing at under 15’s level and we moved her up to the development squad this year, her performances have been fantastic, she’s maybe not got the goals she’s deserved for them, but today, her performance was unbelievable and she was unlucky not to get the goal she deserved but you can’t fault the girl’s work rate and effort.”

“I thought both Jade McLaren and Kayleigh Brough were up there with players of the game, Kayleigh was outstanding, nothing got past her, she held her ground and she performed excellently. Jade’s a striker playing in defence really, she likes getting up the park and attacking, she likes doing her rollovers and stepovers, it was great to see Jade have such a good performance.”

Inverness had the first chance of the game in the 6th minute, Sheena Nicol firing wide before a great passing move gave Forfar the chance to open the lead, Jade McLaren, Gemma Collier, Kayleigh Brough and Keira Johnstone all involved, with Amy Gallacher firing over from the edge of the box.

In the eleventh minute, Holly Napier swung in a corner that Nicola Davidson met, but her shot came off the post and was cleared.

Farmington hit the post again three minutes later, Gallacher’s low cross finding Derrian Gollan but her shot trickled towards the post, before Jade McLaren fired the rebound wide from close range while under pressure from defenders.

Lindsey Dunbar then fired straight into the keeper’s arms as Forfar looked more dangerous than the hosts.

Keira Johnstone latched onto a McNicoll kick out, beating defenders but she also saw her shot held by Kim Jappy.

Gollan rounded Jappy in the 25th minute but her touch was too heavy and the ball went out for a goal kick before she could fire home.

Poor defending handed Inverness the lead against the run of play six minutes later, Natalie Bodiam collecting a poor pass back before slotting under McNicoll.

Holly Napier sent a free kick wide as well as seeing a shot held in the 38th minute.

Less than a minute into the second half, Jade McLaren sent a long range effort into the arms of the keeper, with Johnstone also seeing a great chance smothered on the line.

Amy Gallacher met McLaren’s free kick in the 48th minute but for the third time in the game, Forfar hit the woodwork.

The equaliser two minutes later was a bizarre goal, a scramble in the box saw the referee award a penalty for handball before then changing his mind and deeming a Johnstone shot to have crossed the line.

Forfar then took a deserved lead just eleven minutes into the second half, a break ending in Gallacher sending Gollan down the right, she cut the ball in for Holly Napier to fire home from the edge of the box.

Dunbar then had a shot fly over the bar before having another blocked as Forfar looked to kill the game off.

Amy Gallacher made her way down the right in the 64th minute, entering the box and sending a low cross to the back post that Johnstone was inches away from connecting with.

The last twenty five minutes was quiet, with Farmington retaining possession well without being pressed by City, the only chances coming from a Sheena Nicol shot flying over before Nicola Davidson’s long range effort did the same.

Farmington’s game ended with worry after midfielder Sydney Cairns went in for a challenge to stop an Inverness break, Cairns won the ball but stayed down after injuring her knee and had to be carried off.

The result means the side have their first three points of the season and move up to 8th, with their next game coming in a fortnight at home to Celtic.

Kayleigh Brough was pleased after the game, adding “It was a very good win, we deserved it. I didn’t feel too comfortable at first being put at right back but as the game went on I felt like I was building more to that position, it felt more comfortable than being a striker. I think we’ll give Celtic a tough game in two weeks.”

Inverness City: Kim Jappy, Emma Paterson, Claire Masterton, Megan Gillies (Julia Scott 62), Nicola Ross, Lisa McKenzie, Finella Annand, Leigh Aitken, Sheena Nicol, Lorna Macrae, Natalie Bodiam.

Sub not used: Kirsten Shearer

Forfar Farmington: Fiona McNicoll, Kayleigh Brough, Gemma Collier, Nicola Davidson, Jade McLaren, Sydney Cairns (Ellice Brannan 90), Holly Napier, Lindsey Dunbar, Keira Johnstone, Amy Gallacher (Sally Patterson 83), Derrian Gollan (Nivana Crighton 67)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s