Forfar Athletic 2 Peterhead 1 (League One Play-Off Final First Leg) 17th May 2017

Forfar Athletic came from behind once again this season to take the advantage in the League One Play-Off Final with a 2-1 against Peterhead.

Despite going behind to an early Rory McAllister goal, the Loons came back through Martyn Fotheringham and Michael Travis following the Blue Toon’s Michael McMullin being sent off.

Gary Bollan fielded the same starting eleven that defeated Annan on Saturday with the only change being on the bench; Eoghan McCawl dropping out for Michael Kennedy.

Forfar got off to a bad start when Rory McAllister knocked home a Jamie Stevenson corner after just two minutes.Six minutes later Stevenson almost turned scorer but Grant Adam held his powerful effort.

Danny Denholm set up the Loons first effort in the 19th minute with Thomas O’Brien rising to meet it however he sent the ball wide.
Rory McAllister did the same at the other end two minutes later as the visitors looked to consolidate their lead.

O’Brien came close again from another set piece; his first effort blocked before sending his second flying over the bar.
David Cox had the Loons’ best chance of the first half after chesting down a punt from Adam; his low effort clawed away from goal by a scrambling Smith just after the half hour mark.

The final action of the first half saw O’Brien’s powerful free kick deflected over.

Cox came inches away from an equaliser again less than a minute into the second half as his curled shot fell inches wide with Graeme Smith beaten.

Three minutes later Peterhead were down to ten men when Michael McMullin was shown a second booking for diving in the box.

The Loons capitalised on this in the 53rd minute and it was none other than Martyn Fotheringham who grabbed the equaliser, firing a spectacular effort past Smith from 25 yards.

Scott Brown had a low driven effort held by Adam while O’Brien stung the hands of Smith with a 35 yard driven shot. 

With fifteen minutes to go it looked like it might be level going in to the second leg but Forfar grabbed a well worked goal to edge themselves in front.

O’Brien teed the ball up for Cox to deliver an inch perfect cross to the back post where Michael Travis bulleted home his third goal in four games.

They could have gone further ahead in the final stages of the game as Cox and Josh Peters saw efforts fly off target.

The final chance of the game fell to Peterhead sub Nathan Blockley as Adam was caught in no man’s land however his header was cleared off the line.

Forfar take the advantage going into the second leg at Balmoor this weekend as they eye promotion to League One at the second attempt.

Forfar Athletic: Adam, Bain, McLaughlin, Fotheringham (Milne 84), O’Brien, Travis, Cox, E. Malone, Lister (Peters 84), Swankie (A. Malone 64), Denholm

Subs not used: Munro, Kennedy, Scott, McGovern (gk)
Peterhead: G. Smith, Reid (McIntosh 56), McMullin, Strachan, Gordon, S. Brown, Stevenson (Blockley 60), Redman, McAllister, J. Brown (Ross 51), Anderson

Subs not used: Riley, Ferry, A. Smith, Hobday (gk)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s