Raith Rovers 3 Forfar Athletic 1 (League One) 19th August 2017

Ten man Forfar Athletic were defeated 3-1 at the home of title contenders Raith Rovers on Saturday.

Despite Forfar going ahead through Mark Millar, Raith took all three points after Lewis Vaughan, Liam Buchanan and Greig Spence all netted.

Five changes were made after the midweek defeat in Dingwall with Andy Munro, Ousman See, Marc Scott and Patrick Cregg replaced by Scott McBride, Simon Mensing, Jim Lister and latest signing Rodrigue Nanitelamio. Conor Quigley was injured in the warm up as Michael Kennedy took his place.

Less than a minute in the hosts had their first chance with Simon Mensing doing well to deny Greig Spence inside the box.

Mark Millar saw his shot parried by Rovers debutant Rory Brian before a defender blocked a fierce Dylan Easton volley in the tenth minute.

Two minutes later Lewis Vaughan came close with a free kick meanwhile at the other end Eddie Malone fired over after Raith failed to clear their lines.

The deadlock was broken after 17 minutes; Mark Millar sending a stunning 20 yard free kick into the top corner for his fifth goal of the season.

Rovers looked for a quick equaliser through Buchanan however his effort was saved by Marc McCallum.

They did equalise on the half hour mark; Vaughan ending a run forward with a smart finish past the keeper.

McCallum denied Barr and Buchanan in quick succession and Forfar were dealt a blow in the 39th minute; Jamie Bain fouling Buchanan on the edge of the box for a red card.

Lister and Millar combined six minutes into the second half as the former’s through ball found the latter and despite Millar’s touch taking him away from goal, his shot was deflected wide for a corner.

From the corner the debutant Rodrigue Nanitelamio had a header cleared away with Cox curling over minutes later.

Kevin McHattie had a great chance to put Raith ahead in the 56th minute but could only blast over; his shot landing a couple of rows away from the back of the stand.

The hosts’ main threat seemed to be Lewis Vaughan, with the wide man causing problems for the Loons with a cross-cum-shot that McCallum had to look sharp to tip over.

Cox had another effort deflected wide while Vaughan was denied by McCallum yet again in the 69th minute.

Vaughan was determined to net another but could only watch as his shot after 72 minutes was deflected into the arms of the Loons keeper.

Ross Callachan had a low driven effort parried by McCallum as the game entered the final ten minutes.

Scott McBride fired over after a beat one two with Millar but it was Vaughan involved yet again in the 84th minute when his low cross was touched past McCallum by Buchanan to give Raith the lead.

The lead was extended two minutes later; Simon Mensing’s header back to McCallum was short and Spence nipped in to slot home for Raith’s third.

Spence could have added a fourth in added time but saw his close range shot deflected past the post.

The result means Forfar drop to ninth ahead of their next home game against Albion Rovers.

Raith Rovers: Rory Brian, Jason Thomson, Kevin McHattie, Ross Callachan, Kyle Benedictus, Greig Spence, Scott Robertson (Jonny Court 79), Liam Buchanan (Ross Matthews 85), Lewis Vaughan, Bobby Barr, Iain Davidson

Subs not used: Yaw Osei, Euan Murray, David McKay, James Berry

Forfar Athletic: Marc McCallum, Jamie Bain, Michael Kennedy, Eddie Malone, Rodrigue Nanitelamio, Simon Mensing, David Cox (Patrick Cregg 75), Mark Millar, Jim Lister (Ousman See 82), Dylan Easton (Michael Travis 39), Scott McBride

Subs not used: Andy Munro, Matthew Aitken, Conor Quigley, Jason King (gk)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s