Forfar Athletic 0 Arbroath 1 (League One) 2nd January 2018

Forfar Athletic started the new year with a defeat as a first half goal was enough for derby rivals Arbroath to take all three points.

Leighton McIntosh’s 42nd minute winner means that the Loons are yet to pick up a point in derby clashes this season.

Despite the signing of Dale Hilson, Weir was unable to call upon him but made three changes following Saturday’s win over Ayr United. Lewis Milne, Mark Millar and Scott Lochhead were replaced by Ousman See, Jamie Bain and Josh Peters. Jordan Hornby continued as a trialist after his goal against Ayr.

Arbroath fielded new signing Ryan Wallace along with McIntosh in their two changes; Gavin Swankie and Ryan McCord the players dropping out.

Both teams had chances to open the scoring in the first ten minutes; Ousman See sent clear after two minutes but his effort was blocked by a defender. At the other end a long ball was misjudged by Marc McCallum and after it bounced over him, Michael Travis had to outmuscle Leighton McIntosh to clear the danger.

Mark Whatley sent a shot straight into the arms of McCallum before the Loons’ Josh Peters and Conner Duthie failed to find the target from distance.

McCallum had to look sharp to palm away a fierce free kick from former Forfar favourite Thomas O’Brien in the 20th minute.

Just before the half hour mark an Arbroath attack was stopped and Forfar broke up the park with See opting to square the ball for Peters; his shot diverted wide. From the corner See’s header was cleared off the line by another former Loon in Scott Martin.

In the 42nd minute the deadlock was broken; Wallace controlled a long ball before seeing his effort saved by McCallum, however the keeper was unable to stop McIntosh slotting home the rebound.

The visitors almost added a second four minutes after the break when McIntosh sent a header wide after connecting with a Wallace cross.

A minute later McCallum denied Blair Yule before O’Brien sent Linn’s corner just wide of the post.

Forfar’s first chance of the second half fell to Patrick Cregg after being set up by Matthew Aitken, however the midfielder couldn’t find the target from the edge of the box.

Aitken had an opportunity of his own in the 65th minute; firing straight at Hutton. Ten minutes later Wallace curled wide while captain Mark Whatley saw his effort blocked as the game entered the last ten minutes.

Both sides had chances in the 83rd minute as Yule’s header was saved before a counter attack ended with Dylan Easton dragging his shot past the post.

Mark Millar was denied by Hutton with four minutes remaining while Dylan Easton’s corner in injury time failed to threaten despite McCallum racing up from his own box.

The Loons now fall two points behind Queen’s Park as they look to bounce back in a tricky trip to Raith Rovers on Saturday.

Forfar Athletic: McCallum, Duthie, Bain, McNaughton (Millar 62), Travis, Cregg, Aitken, Malone, See (Cox 66), Peters, Trialist (Easton 57)

Subs not used: Lochhead, Starkey, Warwick, Adam (gk)

Arbroath: Hutton, Little, Hamilton, O’Brien, Yule, Whatley, Linn (Gold 62), Martin, McIntosh (Prunty 71), Wallace (Hester 87), Denholm

Subs not used: McCord, Henry, Gomes (gk)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s