Raith Rovers 2 Forfar Athletic 1 (League One) 6th January 2018

Raith Rovers 2

Greig Spence 12

Jordan Hornby own goal 25

Forfar Athletic 1

Josh Peters 20

Despite an improved performance, Forfar Athletic fell to another defeat as Raith Rovers won by the odd goal in three.

Greig Spence and a Jordan Hornby own goal were enough for the hosts with the Loons’ Josh Peters netting in between.

Forfar made three changes following their derby defeat earlier in the week as Darren Whyte, David Cox and Mark Millar replaced Ousman See, Kevin McNaughton and Patrick Cregg.

The Loons had the first opportunity after two minutes when David Cox’s corner found captain Michael Travis but his effort was blocked.

In the tenth minute Raith’s Dario Zannatta sent a shot from the edge of the box; Marc McCallum couldn’t keep hold of the ball but the Loons cleared their lines.

The opening goal came two minutes later; a Jamie Bain’s cross was inches away from finding Matthew Aitken but the hosts broke forward and Greig Spence was on hand to stroke home Ross Matthews’ low cross.

Cox couldn’t find the target on the quarter hour mark, however the Loons were back on level terms in the 20th minute. Aitken played the ball to Cox; he created space for himself on the right and his cross was lashed home by Josh Peters.

Five minutes later there was another goal, this time for Raith to make it 2-1. Jordan Hornby was playing his third game as a trialist for the Loons and he was unfortunate to divert Zanatta’s cross into the back of the net.

David McKay and Liam Buchanan saw efforts blocked following a Vaughan corner before the latter sent a free kick into the wall despite being in a dangerous position.

The Loons made one change at half time as Hornby was replaced by Dale Hilson, the attacker making his sixth debut for the club.

Eddie Malone looked to try his luck in the opening sixty seconds of the half but couldn’t keep his long range attempt down and it flew over the bar.

Hilson and Peters combined to set up Conner Duthie in the 53rd minute and the Dunfermline loanee saw his shot deflected wide.

Two minutes later Hilson was involved again; setting up Peters but he couldn’t find the target with an off balance shot.

On the hour mark Raith could perhaps count themselves unlucky not to be awarded a penalty as Bain and Buchanan collided in the box as the latter prepared to shoot.

Peters headed wide from a Cox cross while at the other end Zanatta and McKay failed to beat the Loons defence.

As the game entered the final twenty minutes Vaughan sent an effort over the bar before Matthews fired straight at McCallum.

In the 78th minute Jason Thomson forced his way to the byline before cutting the ball back however Buchanan couldn’t get his shot on target.

Vaughan and Zanatta were denied once again in the final five minutes as Rovers took all three points with Forfar falling further behind Queen’s Park at the bottom.

Raith Rovers: Smith, Thomson, Murray, Spence, Robertson, Buchanan (Court 89), Vaughan, Matthews, Davidson, McKay, Zanatta

Subs not used: Osei, Herron, Hendry, Watson, Berry, Lennox (gk)

Forfar Athletic: McCallum, Bain, Hornby (Hilson 46), Whyte (McNaughton 70), Travis, Malone, Cox, Millar, Aitken, Peters (See 67), Duthie

Subs not used: Cregg, Lochhead, McBride, Adam (gk)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s