Queen’s Park 2 Forfar Athletic 2 (League One) 24th February 2018

A fantastic free kick from Dylan Easton rescued a point for ten man Forfar Athletic in their relegation clash with Queen’s Park at Hampden.

Despite Dale Hilson’s early opener, the Loons fell behind to goals from Adam Cummins and Aidan Keena but Dylan Easton rescued a point despite Eddie Malone’s red card.

Jim Weir fielded the same starting line up that hammered Stranraer the week before and it looked like it would pay off again within three minutes; a long kick by Marc McCallum allowed Dale Hilson to race clear and send the ball past the keeper from 20 yards.

In the ninth minute the hosts had their first opportunity; Ross Millen’s cross found the head of Sean Burns but he could only send the ball over the bar.

Eleven minutes later Adam Cummins did the same as Burns from a David Galt corner.

Hilson had Forfar’s only other chance of the half after 24 minutes, however he snatched at the ball from long range and couldn’t keep his effort down.

The Spiders brought themselves level after 33 minutes; Galt’s free kick was bulleted home by Cummins with the defence left standing.

Aidan Keena was unlucky not to push the hosts ahead just before half time with a curling effort that McCallum had to look sharp to tip over.

Keena managed to find the back of the net six minutes into the second half when a ball into the box was taken down by the striker and he coolly slotted past McCallum.

Robbie Leitch almost added a third after 53 minutes as a Galt corner was flicked on by Anton Brady but Leitch couldn’t keep his shot down.

Leitch created a chance for Kenna on the hour mark with McCallum able to hold the header.

Three minutes later Russell Dingwall found Andy Munro with a cross into the danger zone with the defender heading on to the roof of the net.

The Loons were dealt a blow in the 72nd minute when Eddie Malone was sent off for two bookable offences.

Despite the disadvantage Dylan Easton levelled the scores with a fantastic free kick from 20 yards into the top corner.

This gave Forfar a lift and Matthew Aitken should have put Forfar ahead in the 76th minute but was denied twice by the defence in quick succession.

Daniel Nimmo headed wide for the hosts with eight minutes remaining as both sides looked for a winner.

Both sides came close deep into added time with Kenna and Hilson denied by the opposite defences.

Queen’s Park: Michael White, Ross Millen, Sean Burns, Daniel Nimmo, Adam Cummins, Scott Gibson (Ciaran Summers 76), Gregor Fotheringham, Anton Brady (Jamie Gullane 80), Aidan Keena, Dominic Docherty (Robbie Leitch 36), David Galt

Subs not used: Luke Donnelly, Billy Mortimer, Thomas Orr, Lewis Magee (gk)

Forfar Athletic: Marc McCallum, Jamie Bain, Murray Mackintosh, Eddie Malone, Darren Whyte, Mark Millar (Andy Munro 40), Greg Hurst (Josh Peters 61), Russell Dingwall, Dale Hilson, Dylan Easton (Michael Travis 88), Matthew Aitken

Subs not used: Scott McBride, Ross MacIver, Kevin McNaughton, Grant Adam (gk)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s